Pages

Monday, May 18, 2009

New Yogaview! And a Day to Honor Ashtanga.

I am very excited to be on the schedule at Yogaview/Division opening Tuesday May 26th! My classes will be at 4 pm on Mondays and Fridays. I hope you can check out my classes there sometime. For more info stay tuned into the Yogaview Web site.

It's heartening to walk into a freshly painted, beautiful yoga space, and to imagine the classes that might happen there and the people who might come through. And I imagine myself learning more through teaching at this new venue. There is a lovely fountain burbling in the back courtyard. Love it!

Strangely enough on this very same day that I was dreaming a yoga future, there was also the passing of an important teacher of yoga, the founder of Ashtanga yoga: Sri K. Pattabhi Jois. I feel sad as I connect with these thoughts. He was 93 years old. I never met him, and yet through his teaching he has affected so many people, including friends, and including myself. His Primary Series gave me enough to chew on for a long time. I learned so much about myself as I hit my mat to practice this way. It was the first time that I trusted a process that I didn't understand. Even when I got injured I trusted that my body was working something out. This trusting initiated radical transformation in myself that is still in process. I am so grateful for the lessons learned in the sweaty yoga dojo. Blessings to all the people who have been affected by this practice!

So on this day that I was dreamily projecting forward, I also found myself rooting deeply into my past, and thankfully I spent many moments in the present. Wonderful life! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new classes. That's very exciting. Certainly if I was anywhere near your part of the world, I'd love to drop in for a class.

It is sad to lose a yoga master, such as Sri P Jois, but we can all be thankful for his role in the yoga movement.

Let us know how your first classes go!

Flo said...

Much Love.
I have a dear friend that lives in Chicago and mentioned that Yoga View is doing free community classes? That is awesome.